Ice cream is believed to be one of the most time-consuming desserts ever - this recipe serves as proof that it doesn’t have to be. In Iran saffron pistachio ice cream is usually served sandwiched between two thin crackers.
- 300ml (3 1⁄4 cups) heavy cream
- 30g (1⁄4 cup) chopped or slivered pistachios
- 15ml (1 tbsp) saffron infusion
- 250g (1 cup) cream cheese
- 4 egg yolks
- 300g (1 1⁄2 cups) caster sugar
The best way to get the most flavour and colour out of saffron is to steep it. To do this, grind a teaspoonful of saffron pistils to a fine powder using a mortar and pestle, adding 15ml (1 tsp) of boiling water and leaving to soak for 5 to 10 minutes. You can store saffron infusion in a small jar for up to two days in the fridge, after which it starts losing its vibrant colour. It also freezes well.
- set 60ml (4 tbsp) of cream and the pistachios aside for later
- place all the other ingredients into a bowl
- using an electric mixer, mix for 10 minutes, or until thick and creamy
- add the pistachios and combine
- pour the mixture into a rectangular tupperware
- freeze for 3-5 hours
- to have some crunchy bits of cream, cover the bottom of a rectangular dish with a sandwich bag
- pour the remaining cream you set aside earlier on the sandwich bag making sure the cream covers the surface of the bag consistently
- freeze until completely solid
- break into pieces to scatter over the ice cream when serving
If you wish to organise a casual luncheon, a business gathering or a joyfull wedding in Belgium or The Netherlands, please take a look at the catering options and contact me to see how we can turn your event into a memorable happening.You can find many recipes on the website. Most recipes use Persian cooking essentials like indigenous herbs, spices, nuts and fruits. You can also find 50 recipes in my cookbook.Join others and learn how to cook and bake a four-course Persian meal. All workshops are held in Belgium or The Netherlands and participants get a €5 discount on my cookbook.All 50 recipes in my cookbook have 5 major ingredients, carefully chosen to respect the original dishes on which they are based. You can easily order my cookbook on several marketplaces or come pick it up. Participants to a workshop get a €5 discount.Many cities in Iran are on the UNESCO heritage list. Read some culinary travel stories on how I experience my country or learn more about its culture and history.My professional approach of food photography makes your recipes and food products shine in cookbooks, product packaging, online use, catalog or menus.Just follow me on Instagram to view my latest updates. In case of any questions or reservations please do not hesitate contacting me by filling in the form.