ice-cold or piping hot fragrant cider with a festive and uniquely subtle spicy blend
Homemade apple cider is really, really simple. Actually, I am not sure if what I made can even be called apple cider... Let's call it spiced apple juice.
- 3 cups natural apple juice
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- lime, lemon or orange peel
- 8 whole cloves
- 4 whole cardamom
- some cut ginger
- a few dried rosebuds (you can totally leave this out though)
- place all the ingredients in a saucepan
- heat until it begins to simmer
- turn off the heat, cover and leave it on its own and let the spices infuse for an hour
- pour into a jug
- serve hot or cold according to your liking
I juiced my own apples-it's time-consuming but joyous at the same time- of course, I ended up with a jar full of forlorn-looking dehydrated apples but I packed and stashed them away in my freezer to use in my smoothies later. No waste in my kitchen.